My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Creating A World Worth Living In

 
I came across this fable the other day.  It is called The Three Stone Masons.  Here is how it goes...

Three stone masons in the middle ages were hard at work when a visitor came along and asked them what they were doing.

The first stone mason was hard at work, sweat beading his brow. “I am cutting this stone”, he grumbled.
The second stone mason, though less distraught, responded with a deep sigh, “I’m building a parapet [wall]”.
The third stone mason, replied with a radiant face, “I am building a beautiful cathedral that will glorify God for centuries to come”.
This fable caused me to think about what I am up to in my life; what am I working on, what am I building?   Am I just writing, just talking, just listening or does all this contribute to something grander more encompassing?  I thought how powerful it would be, how much more committed and excited I could be if I saw everything I do within the context of creating a world worth living in, not only for myself but for everyone for centuries to come. 

So that is what I am up to, that is what I am doing, creating a world worth living in.
Then I thought does that mean there is there something wrong with the world as it is?  Certainly not, take a look around.  See, it’s already working!

 

 

 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful story..... Really enjoyed reading your blog , Michael, and found your thoughts inspiring.

Thank you for sharing!

Hana

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful story..... Really enjoyed reading your blog , Michael, and found your thoughts inspiring.

Thank you for sharing!

Hana

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful story..... Really enjoyed reading your blog , Michael, and found your thoughts inspiring.

Thank you for sharing!

Hana

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home